Homeowners and Renters Insurance

Homeowners Insurance: Whether you live in a house, town-home, mobile home, apartment, or a personal condo; protect your residence, belongings and yourself with the right homeowners insurance policy.

Homeowners Insurance covers your dwelling, others structures, and personal property for damage from many perils including:
· Fire, Smoke and Explosion
· Hail, Wind and Lightning
· Vehicle, Aircraft and Falling Objects
· Electrical Currents
· Theft and Vandalism
· Glass Breakage
· Frozen Pipes
· Water from Plumbing Systems

You may need additional protection beyond the coverage in a standard homeowners policy. Basic coverage can be increased or extended to provide:
· Guaranteed Dwelling Replacement Cost
· Equipment Breakdown
· Identity Theft Expense
· Collectibles
· Fine arts
· Money and Securities
· Jewelry, Watches, Furs
· Guns
· Backup of Sewer or Sump Pump Failure
· Earthquake
· Watercraft

A Homeowners Policy also covers you against personal liability and provides medical payments to others. If someone makes a claim of injury or property damage against you or your covered family, everything you own could be in jeopardy. A Homeowners Policy may offer coverage’s that can include:
· Personal Liability Protection
· Legal Defense Costs
· Medical Payments to Others
· Damage to Property of Others
· Acts of Children
· Acts of Pets
· Sports and Recreational Activities

Renters Insurance: If you rent a house or apartment, protect yourself with a renters or tenants insurance policy. This covers your belongings against losses from fire or smoke, lightning, vandalism, theft, explosion, windstorm and water damage (not including floods).

Like homeowners insurance, renters insurance also covers your responsibility to others injured at your home or elsewhere by you, a family member or your pet and pays legal defense costs if you are taken to court.
There are two types of renters insurance policies:
· Actual cash value– pays to replace your possessions minus a deduction for depreciation up to the limit of your policy
· Replacement cost– pays the actual cost of replacing your possessions (no deduction for depreciation) up to the limit of your policy.

Do you own some more expensive items such as jewelry, silver, furs, etc.? If so, consider adding a floater, a separate policy that provides additional insurance for your valuables and covers them for perils not included in your policy such as accidental loss.